Friday, July 17, 2009

Loving Me For Me

I try to remain calm, but over the past few days my anxiety has reached fever pitch. I do not sleep but toss and turn almost the entire night. Last night I downed several glasses of red wine. That along with the exhaustion that my body felt, I fell into a deep sleep. Although it did not last the entire night, it was enough for me to function productively throughout the day. I am used to it now. I have to learn to calm my body for sleep; once school starts, I will be on a very short leash.


I search for answers to my issues: my inability to sleep at night, my feelings of not being good enough, the scorching pain in my heart that even the powerful love of my husband has not been able to heal and now I believe that I have stumbled upon one of the answers I seek.

I have to learn to love myself. Not in an extreme selfish way, but in a way that allows me to take the time I need to nurture myself. Taking the time to rest my body and mind, taking the time to give myself what I need to eventually become a complete person, and taking the time to learn what that is. I am always on the run; many tell me that they don't know how I keep the pace I do, but I do.

As a child, it was understood that I must always give up anything that I had for the benefit of the family. But one summer when I was about sixteen, a friend of mine and I hopped into the car and spent the day in New York. We saw a Broadway show and later the show at Radio City Music Hall. We were enthralled with the bright lights of the big city, and I knew that one day I would make it my home. On my return, my mother ranted and raved that if anyone (who might that be) had anything, any money they were keeping to themselves, they had better, "get up off it." I was to regret taking some of my hard earned money and spending it on myself, rather than having it taken away as was usually the case. I felt guilty for the joy I felt that day. Guilty that I was selfish enough to think of myself. After that, it became easy to put others in front. And I have been doing it for the past thirty years.

Now I know it is crucial to my healing. Taking care of me for me. It is only the beginning in the process. Learning to love me.

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog via Penelope Trunk. The best way you can learn to love yourself and feel loved by others, is to recognize the love Christ has for you. "We love, because he first loved us."

    No matter who you are, or what your life has been, you are precious in God's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sigh. That's painful to read. But you're right, it's ok to take care of yourself. Not just ok, but necessary.

    I liken it to the airplane advice stewardesses give: you must put on your own oxygen mask first before you can help anyone else. If you don't nurture yourself first, you won't have anything left to give...

    ReplyDelete