Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Importance of Being Earnest

There was a time when I did not believe in anything. I did not believe in the the promises made by a boy who said he would call the next day. I did not believe in the possibility of miracles so fervently prayed for. I did not believe that tomorrow would make much of a difference in the conditions under which I lived. And I did not believe that "fairness" was a word that I could ever apply to the circumstances of my life. My goal now is to try and be positive in thought, word, and deed. I would also like to say that one of my other goals is to forgive those who took it upon themselves to attempt to execute my spirit. It took years but the instinct to keep my head above the raging waves won out, and I am here to bring to light the evil done in the dark. We never know what we have truly escaped until in hindsight, we look to see the destruction left behind.

I have spent many years coming to terms with the past. It does not go away or become less terrible over time. In my case it has made me mad as hell, and this is part of my way of not taking it anymore or keeping the secrets that held us as prisoners. The past is there to remind us that it can and will happen again in the future, perhaps not to us, but to another innocent whose life is up for grabs. I continue to wonder what I could have possibly done to recieve such treatment at the hands of my own mother. She did not think about the future. That I would remember and count every single moment until I was free of her, and that when I was, I would never never forget. Never.

My mother will tell you she did nothing of the sort. I will tell you she did. And I believe that you will find that my words echo those of others whose mothers or fathers said and did the same. Today I am going to believe that my tomorrow will be better. I will believe that some good will come out of the badness. And I believe that we must learn to never let the light go out. I will keep my goal of forgiveness on the back burner, and tend to it when ready. But not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment