Sunday, March 15, 2009

Time Out

Yes, I know. It has been a while. Lately I have been dealing with some mother/daughter issues that many of us face. My beautiful daughter is at that rebellious stage where she wants to pull away and assert her independence. She shudders when I tell her that her stuffed animals want to talk to her and snuggle at night. She reminds me that we did that when she was eight (ten really) and now she is too big for that. She may be but I am not. I knew it was coming, not just this soon.

What she doesn't understand is that I did it for myself as much as I did it for her. Making the animals talk and dance, play and fight! What joy for me and the child inside! I needed to be a mommy. I want to be a mommy. Now I'm just "mom", and that's ok too.

Being a mommy is everything to me, and probably always will be. Yes, I do other things and have many other interests. But being a mommy means that I was needed when there was a tear to be wiped away, or monsters to be shooed out from under the bed. Mommies have magic and can do the most courageous things!

My daughter does remind me however, that "Mom" is still very much needed and constantly in demand. "Mom, can we go pick up my friends, NOW???!!!" "Mom, can you make some brownies???" "I love you, Mom!"

I am the kind of Mom that I wish I had had, but didn't. I am the kind of Mom that my daughter's friends love to be around and because of that my job is never done. Even though I have hung up my Mommy cape and tights, I am not retired. I am on guard, as moms are supposed to be. You know where to find me.

Andy

1 comment:

  1. I truly think your experiences as a child made you that much of a better mom.

    Were you ever afraid to have children? Afraid that you could have pieces of that meaness in you? Not necessarily to the same degree but just a piece of it?

    Sometimes I feel that way, but everyone I know tells me that when the time is right I'll be a great mom. I hope so...

    I hope you dont mind all my comments. I've just been reading bits of your blog here and there and like to give feedback. I've never heard back from you so hopefully you dont mind!!

    ReplyDelete