Saturday, February 13, 2010

If Only

Last night I dreamed of my father. He was alive and well, and held me in his arms before offering me a bright red apple. Although I never saw his face, his voice was unmistakable, calm, measured, and reassuring. Others had wanted to get the apple from him, but he had held onto it for me. It was mine, and he was going to make sure that I received it. How odd that it was not something of great value, but a simple piece of fruit. I held him tightly; it was so wonderful to touch him and know that he was well. I awoke to discover that it was only a dream, and that made me angry. I jerked, kicked and cried, waking my husband who shook me to dispel the torment. It took the whole day to recover.

I could spend hours and even days trying to discern the significance of the red apple. What is important is that in that time, I had a cherished moment with my father. For those of you fortunate enough to have parents that are actually parents, kind, loving, and nurturing, know that you have in your possession a great gift. Perhaps in some way from the beyond, my father was trying to tell me that I was a gift to him. I can only guess. I'll never really know.

It was insanity that kept us apart; kept him from his children. He was away from us so much, I can only imagine how it tore at his heart. He never, never said an unkind word to me. I don't think he had it in him. I only got to know him later in his life; father and daughter, but strangers really. If only!

Still here.

Andi

2 comments:

  1. I do believe your fathers love is what has enabled you to transcend your mothers brutality. I like to believe that good always overcomes evil...Keep writing...it touches many lives

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the apple signifies nurturing in and of itself. The apple in part can provide nourishment to your body which helps to take care of you which is something you didnt get from him but wanted...just a thought...

    I just started reading your blog so hello! I also just started writing a blog myself...

    ReplyDelete